I remember when I first got interested in chakras, the year was 2008 and I was going through a spontaneous kundalini awakening without the assistance of a master. It was an amazing time in which latent gifts awakened and I sought understanding of what was changing in me. This wisdom allows me to share information to you about The 7 Chakras for Beginners which will help you on your journey!
Having meditated since I was 16, after 22 years I was familiar with the chakras but I didn’t realize then, how important they are to our survival both as a human and a spirit.
If I could tell you one thing, it is to think of your chakras like a scale.
In this article, The 7 Chakras for Beginners, I am going to be introducing you to each chakra and giving an overview of it’s meaning.
You have the root chakra at the base of your spine and when healthy one thrives on the earth plane, quite capable of taking care of themselves. You have a crown chakra at the top of the scale, and when healthy one feels connected to source and is very adept at surviving spiritually. In between the Root (1st chakra) and the Crown (7th chakra) you have the heart chakra which is your seat of family and self-love and is known as the bridge between earth plane and the heavenly realms.
Before we touch on each 7 chakras individually, lets take a moment to understand just what the heck a chakra is.
The root chakra is represented in red and the crown chakra is white… and in between you have the sacral, solar plexus, heart, throat, and third eye chakra.
A chakra is a “spinning wheel” according to the Sanskrit meaning of the word. The easiest was to think of a chakra is like a little tornado of energy.
It also helps to think of the chakra as representing a level of consciousness.
The conscious of the root chakra is about survival issues and the consciousness of the sacral chakra is about emotions and procreation. The solar plexus chakra concerns the consciousness of will power and work, the heart chakra, as mentioned earlier focuses on the consciousness of self love and family love. The throat chakra is the consciousness of communication and the third eye our perception (be it with spiritual or physical eyes) of the world. Finally we come to the crown and here we find the consciousness of one-ness; with God and with our brothers and sisters on this planet (and beyond quite honestly).
Blocks in a chakra often correlate to a mental, physical, emotional, or spiritual dis-ease.
For example, it is healthy for one to be able to financially provide for themselves. Someone who is unable to financially get their head above water will have an energetic block in their root chakra. Same can be said with problems of the bones, large intestine, and teeth and nails. Insecurity resides in the root chakra as well. So the consciousness of the root chakra encompasses our foundation of our being and our ability to care for ourselves well enough to be successful. A person who doesn’t shower frequently will have a weak root chakra, as they avoid caring for themselves. We’ll talk more about the root chakra but lets get some more understanding of these delightfully spinning wheels.
Chakras are not “new age” terminology as the awareness of them has been around for thousands of years. Texts about the chakra date back to 1577.
The 7 Chakras For Beginners
The Chakras have two primary functions
- To energize the energy field (body, chakras, and aura… which will get to in a few)
- To aid in self-development as they are cleared and activated
So how does one develop?
Again, lets think of it like a scale. As one opens each chakra, they will release the lower vibrational energy and ascend into Enlightenment.
Just by working on each chakra one can grow, learn, stretch and adopt changes which result in more positive feelings which equate to more positive vibrations… which results in true happiness.
Now according to Vedic teachings we have 1,000’s of chakras, and I concur but we will only focus on the 7 Chakras for Beginners.
How Chakras Energize the Energy Body
We have all heard of life force energy, also known as Ki and it regulates the auric field and the body. The chakras pull IN life force energy and this energy travels through what are called meridians in our body like an electrical current.
The movement of the Ki (life force energy) determines the healthiness of the chakras. Mental, physical, emotional states of being affect the flow of the life force energy. Lower vibrational energy will make your life force sluggish. The environment, karma, and your interaction with your brothers and sisters also affect our energy body.
As the ki moves through your field it enters into each chakra and effects the nervous system which also effects the endocrine system.
This is important to understand as many illness relate to a specific gland of the endocrine system and those illnesses can be alleviated or ameliorated through energy work. This is why people who meditate and run energy are healthier; mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
As the ki begins to flow one may experience even greater health when the pingala, ida, and sushuma are activated. Once activated one begins to experience the kundalini awakening.
It is important that one work each chakra like a scale, resolving issues, integrating, and activating each chakra in order so that one gentle awakens their kundalini energy which balances the male and female/ yin and yang within; becoming a complete individual.
How the Chakras Aid In Self- Development
Root Chakra Healing
Root Chakra – Physical Sympathy/Empathy
- Located between groin and privates
- Color – Red
- Allows one to safely understand others physical energy/pain.
- This comes into play in psychometry, dowsing, psychic surgery, kinesiology, telekinesis, and hands on healing.
- Negative aspect; absorbs others physical pain and thinks it is our own.
- This chakra governs Body, Money, Survival, and Security issues.
- The corresponding layer of the aura ensures protection of life force energy.
Sacral Chakra – Emotional Sympathy/Empathy
- Located at the belly button
- Color – Orange
- Allows one to safely feel others emotional pain/energy and can help them to heal.
- This is known as empathy
- Negative Aspect; holds onto another individual’s emotions within our own body.
- This chakra governs Emotions and Sexuality
- The corresponding layer of the aura screens emotions and feelings
Solar Plexus Chakra – Mental Sympathy/Empathy –
- Located at the solar plexus
- Color – Yellow
- Allows one know what another individual is thinking or what they believe.
- This is known as clairsentience.
- Negative Aspect; when one thinks that others beliefs and thoughts are their own.
- This chakra governs work, competition, ego, and power.
- The corresponding layer of the aura filters ideas and beliefs.
Heart Chakra – Relational Sympathy/Empathy –
- Located at the center of the chest
- Color – Green
- Here we can sense others wants, needs, and that which they are desirous of.
- This is used in hands on healing.
- Negative Aspect; when one takes on responsibility for another individual’s wants and needs, unmet desires, and healing.
- This chakra governs family love and self-love
- The corresponding layer of the aura attracts and repels relationships
Throat Chakra – Verbal Sympathy/Empathy –
- Located at the throat
- Color – Blue
- Here we can receive information (downloads some would say) from other entities or spirits, as well as from tones, music, and sounds.
- This ability is also known as channeling, trans-mediumship, telepathy, and clairaudience.
- Negative Aspects; cannot tell ones’ own thoughts from another and can be possessed by spirits.
- This chakra governs knowing your inner voice and the communication
- The corresponding layer of the aura attracts, repels, and sends guidanceThroat Chakra
Third Eye/Forehead Chakra – Visual Sympathy/Empathy –
- Located center of forehead
- Color – Purple
- Here we can see images, have visions, see or see auras with inner vision and is able to interpret the information.
- This is also known as clairvoyance, precognition, The Sight, remote viewing, and aura reading.
- Negative Aspect; there is no control over the type of images, the images are often negative, and one cannot interpret what is real.
- This chakra governs visualization abilities, insight, and psychic sight
- The corresponding layer of the aura opens one to choices and enacts decisions.
Crown Chakra – Spiritual Sympathy/Empathy –
- Located at top of head
- Color – Violet
- Here one can sense the development of consciousness in another, sense another individual’s purpose or destiny, and can be aware of other individual’s spirit guides.
- This is also known as prophecy and is a factor in the power of prayer and meditation.
- Negative Aspect; there is a vulnerability to spiritual attacks, one can be overly affected by evil or negativity, and there is a sense of powerlessness.
- This chakra governs oneness and connection to Source
- The corresponding layer of the aura connects with Spirit and spirits and broadcasts spiritual decisions